Spring Training Schedule This Week: @ Braves (Sat.), vs. Blue Jays (Sun. on YES)
Top stories from last week:
- Pitchers and catchers reported to Spring Training on Tuesday, though Alex Rodriguez will not be in with the team in camp. He’ll remain in New York to continue his rehab from left hip surgery. Joe Girardi discussed a number of topics during his start-of-camp press conference.
- There is a “significant difference” in valuation during talks between the Yankees and Robinson Cano about a long-term contract. The team has not yet discussed an extension with either Phil Hughes or Curtis Granderson, who would like to remain with the team. Andy Pettitte isn’t sure if he’ll pitch in 2014, though Mariano Rivera has already made his decision. He said he would have retired in the offseason had he been able to pitch in the playoffs. Rivera will let everyone know his plans before Opening Day.
- Injury News: CC Sabathia (elbow) threw off a mound for the first time since having a bone spur removed. Derek Jeter (ankle) has started running and was given the “green light” to ramp up his rehab. He has a plate and screws in his ankle. Michael Pineda (shoulder) started throwing off a full mound and is on track to face hitters next month. The team is taking it easy on Boone Logan (elbow) early in camp. David Adams (back) is about a week behind. Cesar Cabral (elbow) continues throwing off a mound.
- The Yankees acquired reliever Shawn Kelley from the Mariners for Abe Almonte. Alex Rodriguez (hip) was placed on the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man roster spot.
- The Yankees continue to look for a veteran pitcher to stash in Triple-A, and they plan to scout Chien-Ming Wang in the World Baseball Classic. Frankie Cervelli withdrew from the WBC.
- The Yankees and Ticketmaster formed the Yankees Ticket Exchange.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)