Lots of notes today…
- RHP Brett Marshall was placed on DL with left leg bursitis, but he was healthy enough to participate in fielding drills today. RHP Ricky Orta took his spot on the roster, and he’s kinda interesting.
- LHP Josh Romanski (blister) and RHP Craig Heyer (elbow) threw bullpens over the weekend and will do so again tomorrow. Heyer expects to be activated in the first week of July. There still isn’t much of a schedule for RHP Cory Arbiso (back).
- When working multiple innings, the Yankees do not let RHP Mark Montgomery throw his knockout slider after the first inning. That’s a good way to get him to work on other pitches, but if they’re doing it because they’re worried he’s going to blow out his arm, they should probably move him a little more aggressively.
- Missed this yesterday, but OF Zoilo Almonte and C Gary Sanchez were named the Offensive Players of the Week for the Double-A Eastern League and Low-A South Atlantic League, respectively.
- Second rounder SS Austin Aune was named a First Team All-American by Baseball America. He was drafted as an outfielder, but the Yankees will keep him at short until he shows he can’t handle it. First rounder RHP Ty Hensley was a Second Teamer at the utility spot.
Triple-A Empire State (4-2 loss to Louisville)
RF Kevin Russo: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, — got picked off first
2B Corban Joseph: 1-4, 1 R
LF Ronnie Mustelier: 1-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 CS, 1 HBP — 13 hits in his last 35 at-bats (.371)
DH Jack Cust: 0-1, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K — Colin Curtis pinch-ran for him late and got caught stealing
C Frankie Cervelli: 0-3, 1 BB, 2 K
CF Chris Dickerson: 1-4, 1 K — threw a runner out at first
1B Brandon Laird: 0-2, 2 BB — 22 walks in 68 games this year after 20 walks in 134 games last year
SS Ramiro Pena: 0-4
3B Doug Bernier: 0-3 — Russell Branyan pinch-hit late and made an out
RHP Adam Warren: 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 12/3 GB/FB — 74 of 109 pitches were strikes (67.9%)
LHP Juan Cedeno: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K — 13 of 25 pitches were strikes (52.0%)