The first day of Spring Training, when pitchers and catchers report, isn’t exactly the busiest day as far as news go. I’ve already recapped Joe Girardi‘s press conference, but here are some other random notes from Tampa…
- Yogi Berra won’t be in camp as a guest instructor this year. He is in good health and plans to be at the Stadium this summer, but traveling down to Florida is a bit of a chore at 87 years old. Jorge Posada, however, is in camp as a guest instructor. [Dan Martin & Bryan Hoch]
- CC Sabathia said having elbow surgery to clean out a bone spur in October was “a relief.” He said he has better range of motion and doesn’t feel an “ache” when he extends to finish pitches. Sabathia is down to 290 lbs. and called it his ideal weight. He’ll throw his first bullpen on Thursday. [Jack Curry & Hoch]
- Austin Romine dropped 13 pounds this winter and his back feels “absolutely fantastic.” He, obviously, has a golden opportunity to make the team this spring. [Chad Jennings & Hoch]
- If you care about uniform numbers, then you’ll be happy to know Frankie Cervelli reclaimed his old #29 now that Rafael Soriano is gone. David Phelps switched to #35, which Michael Pineda wore last spring. Pineda switched to #43. [all Mark Feinsand]
- Kenji Nimura, who served as Hiroki Kuroda‘s interpreter with the Dodgers and last year with the Yankees, is now doing the same job with the Rangers for Yu Darvish. I’m sure the Yankees dug up a capable replacement. [David Lennon]
- And finally, Mariano Rivera has received permission to report to camp late. He’ll be in Tampa tomorrow. Nothing new here, this has been going on for years. [Jennings]
Here is your open thread for the night. The Rangers and Devils are both playing, but talk about whatever you like here. Enjoy.