Record Last Week: 3-4 (20 RS, 26 RA)
Season Record: 55-50 (407 RS, 415 RA, 51-54 pythag. record), 7.2 GB ALE/2.5 GB WC
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, @ Dodgers (two games, Tues. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, @ Padres (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees made their first notable move in advance of the trade deadline, acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Cubs in exchange for minor league right-hander Corey Black on Friday. They will pay just $6.8M of the $24.5M left on his contract, including $5M next year. The move came from ownership.
- The week on the field started with four games against the Rangers in Texas. The Yankees had no chance against Yu Darvish in the opener, but they rallied for a ninth inning comeback win on Tuesday. Trade deadline pickup Matt Garza shut New York down in the third game, then Hiroki Kuroda led the Yankees to a win in the series finale.
- The Rays came to town for a three-game weekend series, and CC Sabathia got clobbered again in the opener. The offense had no answer for Chris Archer on in Saturday’s loss, but they rallied for a walk-off win thanks to Soriano yesterday.
- Injury Updates: Curtis Granderson (hand) is playing in rehab games and could be activated next weekend in San Diego. Jayson Nix (hamstring) will be activated on Tuesday. David Phelps (forearm) made a minor league rehab start. Both Travis Hafner (shoulder) and Luis Cruz (knee) were placed on the DL. Frankie Cervelli (hand, elbow) still has soreness and will be re-evaluated. Kevin Youkilis (back) has started his rehab work and could return to the team in September.
- The Yankees asked about the availability of both Justin Morneau and Hunter Pence. Michael Young is finally available, and Alex Rios may or may not have agreed to waive his no-trade clause to come to the Yankees. They signed Brendan Harris to a minor league deal.
- Derek Jeter was activated off the DL yesterday, taking Hafner’s spot. David Adams was called up to replace Cruz and then sent down to make room for Nix. Thomas Neal was sent down to clear a roster spot for Soriano. Alberto Gonzalez cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Scranton.
- Alex Rodriguez’s doctor went on WFAN and said he didn’t see a quad injury on the MRI. The team sent Alex for a third opinion and the two sides agreed to a rehab plan. more Biogenesis suspensions are expected this week and A-Rod will not make a plea deal.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.