The latest from Florida…
- The Yankees pummeled the Phillies 7-1 today thanks to homers by Eduardo Nunez (three-run) and Curtis Granderson (two-run). A.J. Burnett threw three perfect innings while Joba Chamberlain and Pedro Feliciano followed with perfect frames of their own. Eric Chavez went 3-for-3 in the offensive explosion. Here’s the box score. Burnett says his new mechanics feel “effortless,” which can only be good news. (Jack Curry)
- It’s a split squad day, so the other half of the team is playing the Orioles tonight. That game is not on television, unfortunately.
- CC Sabathia threw his regular side session with Larry Rothschild and Mike Harkey watching. Rafael Soriano and Ivan Nova each faced batters in a simulated game this morning, which I guess means we’re still a few days away from the former’s spring debut. (Marc Carig & Chad Jennings)
- Andrew Brackman is on tomorrow’s travel roster, so it appears that he’ll see his first game action of the spring. Joe Girardi said that the right-hander is out of the mix for a rotation spot, however. Colin Curtis, meanwhile, had an MRI on his jammed shoulder and will be “out a while.” Russell Martin caught back-to-back games and his knee was just fine. (Erik Boland, Bryan Hoch, Carig, Carig & Carig)
- Girardi may start toying with some different lineups after the team’s off day next Tuesday. (Carig)
- Bernie Williams will be in camp for a few days after playing some concerts in and around Orlando. (Hoch)
This is your open thread for the evening. YES is airing a replay of today’s game against the Phillies, ditto SNY with the Mets and Tigers. MLB Network will also have the Brewers and Reds a little later on. The Knicks are playing as well. Use this thread to talk about whatever you want.