Record Last Week: 1-5 (17 RS, 32 RA)
Season Record: 42-39 (310 RS, 326 RA, 38-43 pythag. record), 6.5 GB ALE/ 4.0 GB WC
Opponents This Week: @ Twins (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), vs. Orioles (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Rangers came to the Bronx for three games following Monday’s off-day, and the Yankees took the opener thanks to Ichiro Suzuki’s walk-off homer. The bullpen let them down the next day, then Derek Holland shut them out in the series finale.
- The Yankees headed to Baltimore in a three-game weekend series, and they dropped the opener despite having an early lead. David Phelps got pounded in the second game, then the Orioles completed the sweep yesterday.
- Injury Updates: Mark Teixeira (wrist) will have season-ending surgery today and is expected to be ready in time for Spring Training. The Yankees will be reimbursed for part of his salary via insurance. Alex Rodriguez (hip) has been cleared to begin rehab games soon. Derek Jeter (ankle) has started facing live pitching. Michael Pineda (shoulder) will make one more minor league start before his 30-day rehab window expires. Curtis Granderson (hand) still can’t begin baseball activities. Frankie Cervelli (hand) has started some light hitting. Eduardo Nunez (ribcage) has started a minor league rehab assignment.
- Leading up to the trade deadline, the Yankees are looking for a third baseman and have some interest in Michael Young, Carlos Ruiz, and Ian Stewart. They do not have interest in Ricky Nolasco and are included in Yovani Gallardo’s no-trade list. Randy Levine said the team is willing to add payroll.
- The Yankees have interest in Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers but not Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. They are looking to trade for more international spending pool money.
- Gary Sanchez ranks 26th in Baseball Prospectus’ midseason top 50 prospects. Rafael DePaula will represent the Yankees in the Futures Game in a few weeks.
- The Yankees signed seventh round pick RHP Nick Rumbelow to below slot $100k bonus.
- Reid Brignac cleared waivers and elected free agency.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
Note: We’re trying out a new poll plug-in and apparently it takes you to a blank page after you cast your vote. The responses are being recorded on the back-end though, so just bear with us for a week while we figure this out.