Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- The two biggest stories of the week involved the Yankees’ two biggest free agents. Derek Jeter agreed to a slightly complicated three-year contract worth a guaranteed $56M, but only after the two sides met on Tuesday and the team made a new offer. In the unlikely event that they weren’t able to work something out, Eduardo Nunez was Plan B.
- A few days before the captain re-upped, Mariano Rivera agreed to a very straight-forward two-year contract worth $30M. There’s a chance that it’ll be Mo’s last contract.
- Injury Zone: Al Aceves needed surgery after breaking his collarbone in a bicycle accident, and Brett Gardner needs surgery to repair a wrist issue that hampered him during the second half.
- The Yankees non-tendered Aceves and Dustin Moseley, though they did re-sign Sergio Mitre for one-year and $900,000.
- The Red Sox and Padres agreed to a deal that would have sent Adrian Gonzalez to Boston, but the two sides couldn’t work out a contract extension and it fell through. (Update: Wrote this yesterday afternoon, the trade went through after all.)
- The Yanks showed some interest in Carl Crawford and nearly traded Frankie Cervelli for Russell Martin. They did, however, sign Buddy Carlyle to a minor league contract. Zack Greinke said he’s open to pitching in New York, but the Yanks are skeptical.
- Javy Vazquez officially took his talents to South Beach, finalizing a one-year deal with the Marlins that gives the Yankees a supplemental first round draft pick. Lance Berkman landed in St. Louis, but there was no comp pick for him. Marcos Vechionacci ended up in Japan.
- The Yankees awarded 43 full shares worth $110,302.97 of playoff bonus money.
- Ten-year Yankee veteran Gil McDougald passed away at age 82.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.