Matthews: Aceves out for all ’11 (UPDATE: Nope)

Update by Mike (9:31pm): Matthews backed off the report, saying he may have been misinformed. He’s unsure of Aceves’ status for 2011.

Original Post (8:46pm): Here’s an interesting tidbit from today’s Wallace Matthews chat: When asked why the Yanks have yet to bring back Alfredo Aceves, Matthews said the right-hander is out for all of 2011. Apparently, Aceves’ back injury is “much more serious than [originally] assumed,” and the pitcher will miss “much if not all of 2011.” This is the first we’ve heard of this rumor, and we haven’t yet corroborated the news. Considering, however, that disc injuries often require surgery, this isn’t a very big surprise. Maybe Aceves can come back in 2012, but if not, we’ll always have his 14-1 big league career.

Open Thread: Greg Golson

(AP Photo/Brandon Wade)

Earlier today we discussed the two-year anniversary of Andy Pettitte re-signing with the Yankees (well, one of those anniversaries anyway), but today is also the one-year anniversary of the deal that brought Greg Golson to New York. DotF Hall of Famer Mitch Hilligoss headed to Texas in the deal, and he went on to post a .335 wOBA in 275 plate appearances last year. I can’t find anything about an injury, so I’m not sure why he only made it into 69 games. Anyway, Golson spent most of the year with Triple-A Scranton (.325 wOBA), but he came up in September and made regular appearances as a defensive replacement, including the biggest defensive play of the year. He also found his way onto the playoff roster. Golson didn’t and most likely won’t have a big impact during his time with the Yankees, but they turned a replaceable minor league into some depth and a marginal late season upgrade. Hard to complain about the move.

So here’s your open thread for the night. The Devils, Isles, and Nets are all in action, but talk about whatever your heart desires. Go nuts.

Food For Thought: AL East Attendance

That graphic comes courtesy of Beyond The Box Scores’ Justin Bopp, and it shows AL East attendance figures over the last ten seasons. The Yankees have dominated in this department, accounting for no less than 25% of the division’s total attendance during the last decade. Keep in mind that Fenway Park has a capacity of 37,000 (give or take), while the new Yankee Stadium can accommodate just over 50,000. The ballpark in the Bronx at 85.2% capacity still boasts more people than a sold out Fenway.

Attendance is the root of the money making machine known as the Yankees, because it allows them to sell ad space at ridiculous prices and reap the benefits of the YES Network cash cow. As long as the team remains competitive, attendance will be strong and so will the revenue streams.

Calcaterra: ‘Very strong possibility’ Pettitte pitches in 2011

Update (5:22 p.m.): Via friend of RAB Craig Calcaterra, a source close to Andy Pettitte says there’s a “very strong possibility” that the big lefty will pitch in the upcoming season. Andy is reportedly doing his usual preseason routine to stay in shape and hasn’t any physical issues, a big plus. The stuff about Roger Clemens’ federal trial supposedly isn’t a factor in Pettitte’s decision either. According to Jon Heyman, the Yanks will offer Pettitte $12 million to pitch in 2011.

Earlier today, former Yankee Morgan Ensberg teased that we “wouldn’t believe” what he just found out about someone with the Yanks, and that he’ll announce it on XM MLB Radio tonight. There’s no reason to assume it’s related to Calcaterra’s report, but Ensberg and Pettitte did play together for three years in Houston and then for a season in New York. Let your mind wander at your own risk.

The RAB Radio Show: January 26, 2011

The Yankees continued adding to their spring training guest list today by signing Bartolo Colon. Yesterday they did the same when they signed Warner Madrigal. Neither represents an enormous signing, but both of them give the Yankees a low-risk pitcher who might help the team, but most likely will head elsewhere after spring training.

Plus, some Justin Duchscherer talk.

Podcast run time 26:52

Here’s how you can listen to podcast:

  • Download the RAB Radio Show by right clicking on that link and choosing Save As.
  • Listen in your browser by left clicking the above link or using the embedded player below.
  • Subscribe in iTunes. If you want to rate us that would be great. If you leave a nice review I’ll buy you a beer at a meet-up.

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Intro music: “Smile” by Farmer’s Boulevard used under a Creative Commons license

Two years ago today, an Andy reunion

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The 2008-2009 offseason was a memorable one for Yankees fans. The team kicked it off by trading spare parts for Nick Swisher before going for the kill in December, signing CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Mark Teixeira for a total of 20 contract years and $423.5M. Those moves would turn just about any team into a contender, but the Yankees still had one order of business left to finish heading into the new year: Andy Pettitte remained unsigned.

Pettitte, 37 at the time, was coming off his worst season in a decade. An achy shoulder hampered him throughout the second half of the season, and it saw him post a 6.23 ERA in his final eleven outings. He lost 14 games on an 89 win club, and his 4.54 season ERA was the second highest of his 14-year career. All that came at the cost of a $16M salary.

Similar to the Derek Jeter situation, the Yankees negotiated with Pettitte through the media. Also just like Jeter, a legion of fans were irate that the team wouldn’t give Andy what he wanted just because he was Andy Pettitte. The Yanks did offer the lefty a one-year deal worth $10M, but it was eventually rejected. If the Yanks had offered that much money to another 37-year-old pitcher with a PED past and a recent shoulder issue that was coming off his worst season in ten years, we’d be livid. But because it was Andy Pettitte, it wasn’t enough.

Negotiations carried on well into January, and in the middle of the month we heard that Pettitte’s return was less than 50-50, something that sounds all too familiar these days. The two sides eventually came to terms on January 26th, two years ago today. The new one-year deal guaranteed Pettitte just $5.5M, and he admitted that the pay cut stung.

“Heck, the bottom line is I’m a man, and I guess it does take a shot at your pride a little bit,” said Andy during a conference call with reporters soon after the deal was announced. “But when you put all that aside, I wanted to play for the New York Yankees and, you know, that was the bottom line.

“I know I could have made a lot more money than what I signed for (somewhere else), but if you want to play for one team you’re going to have to make sacrifices. If it means me taking a pay cut, then it means me taking a pay cut.”

Of course Pettitte ended up making much more than his $5.5M base salary that season. Incentives tied to innings pitched and days on the active roster put another $4.75M in his pocket, so his total earnings in 2009 climbed to $10.25M, more than the contract he turned down earlier in the winter. Then there’s another $365,000 from his World Series share.

As much as we’d like to make this date another anniversary for Pettitte, it’s extremely unlikely to happen. We’re all still waiting for Pettitte to give definitive word about his plans for 2011, but the Yankees have assumed the worst. Brian Cashman has maintained all offseason that they are not counting on Andy and are working under the assumption that he’s staying home for the season, something he reiterated at yesterday’s WFAN breakfast. Waiting and being patient is nothing new for these two parties, but now we’re venturing into uncharted territory.

Note: This post was originally published this morning, but quickly got buried by the Bartolo Colon news. I’m just moving it back up to make sure no one misses out.

Yankees place ninth in KLaw’s organization rankings

It’s prospect season, so there’s going to be a whole lot of rankings and lists coming out between now and the start of Spring Training. Keith Law kicked things off with his organization rankings today (Insider only), placing the Yankees’ ninth among the 30 teams. The system is obviously highlighted by Jesus Montero, Gary Sanchez, and the Killer B’s, and beyond that they’re loaded with “back-end starter depth.” He teases us with a preview of Friday’s post about sleepers, saying that we’ll see one of the Yanks’ late round 2010 draftees on the list. Got a guess? I’m thinking Dan Burawa, KLaw’s raved about him before.

As for the rest of the AL East, the Rays ranked second behind the Royals, the Blue Jays came in fourth behind the Braves, and then the Red Sox and Orioles placed 11th and 24th, respectively. Tomorrow brings Law’s top 100, I figure there will be four or five Yankee farmhands on there. Montero, Sanchez, Banuelos for sure, I could see Betances and/or Brackman going either way.