Record Last Week: 3-3 (37 RS, 33 RA)
Season Record: 36-27 (330 RS, 255 RA, 39-24 pythag. record), one back in loss column
Opponents This Week: vs. Indians (one game, Mon.) vs. Rangers (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), @ Cubs (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- Following Monday’s off day, the Yankees welcomed the Red Sox to town for a three game series we’d all like to forget. Freddy Garcia didn’t make it out of the second inning in the opener, and another blowout loss followed the next day. Boston finished off the sweep with a come from behind win on Thursday.
- The Yankees welcomed the Indians to town after the ass-whooping they took from the Sox. They got a much needed blowout win on Friday, a shutout win on Saturday, and then another blowout win yesterday.
- Bad Injury News: A bad week of injuries is headlined by Joba Chamberlain‘s torn elbow ligament. He was placed on the disabled list and will have Tommy John surgery this week. Bartolo Colon left Saturday’s game with a hamstring strain and was placed on the disabled list, though he’s hopeful he won’t need more than 15 days off. Mark Teixeira left Tuesday’s game after getting hit by a pitch on the knee, but he returned the next night. Rafael Soriano is close to throwing and Eric Chavez started some hitting drilled but still isn’t close to returning. Minor league reliever Tim Norton is out with a shoulder injury, and Justin Maxwell is out for the year after tearing his labrum. Amaury Sanit hit the disabled list as well.
- Good Injury News: Phil Hughes is on track to begin a rehab assignment this week after last week’s throwing sessions went well. He reportedly hit 92 on the radar gun.
- The Yankees claimed Jeff Marquez off waivers and called up Kevin Whelan to shore up the bullpen. Andy Pettitte said he’s unlikely to ever pitch again, for those of you holding out hope.
- The Yankees selected Dante Bichette Jr. with their first pick, part of a draft haul generally described as underwhelming. They’re close to signing him as well.
- MLB is still probing Alex Rodriguez‘s connection to Dr. Anthony Galea.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.