Lots of moves, so let’s recap…
- It’s the end of an era, Alan Horne has been released. He walked 13 and struck out just three in 6.1 IP with Double-A Trenton this year, allowing 13 runs. It was his first game action since 2009 due to continued shoulder trouble. It’s a shame, poor guy was thisclose to the big leagues once upon a time.
- Kevin Whelan and Kevin Russo were both activated off the disabled list. To make room for them on the roster, both Josh Schmidt and Addison Maruszak were sent from Triple-A Scranton to Trenton.
- Shane Greene has been placed on the disabled list for whatever reason. DeAngelo Mack has also been placed on the disabled list with a hand injury.
- The Yankees have signed righty reliever Francisco Cruceta (org. arm) and 1B/DH Jamie Mallard. Mallard is still just 20 years old and hit .291/.357/.457 in 143 rookie ball plate appearances after the Angels made him their 17th rounder in 2008, but they released him earlier this year. He can hit a bit, but the kid is listed at 6-foot-0 and 265 lbs. That might be generous. Here’s a photo. Yikes.
- That previous link says Logan Kensing has been up to 93-94 with Triple-A Scranton, which is pretty cool.
- UPDATE: Zoilo Almonte has been promoted to Trenton, Cody Johnson is going down to High-A Tampa.
Triple-A Scranton (4-2 loss to Toledo)
Kevin Russo, 3B, Jorge Vazquez, 1B, Brandon Laird, LF, Gus Molina, C & Luis Nunez, 2B: all 1 for 4 – Russo drove in a run and struck out twice … JoVa whiffed twice … Gus doubled, struck out, and allowed a passed ball … Nunez drove in a run and struck out
Chris Dickerson, CF: 0 for 4, 2 K
Jordan Parraz, RF: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K
Terry Tiffee, DH: 2 for 4, 1 R
Doug Bernier, SS: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 2 K
Ivan Nova, RHP: 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 8-2 GB/FB – 66 of 103 pitches were strikes (64.1%) … at least he lines up perfectly with Bartolo Colon
J.C. Romero, LHP: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HB – 13 of 17 pitches were strikes (76.5%)