Via MLBTR, the Yankees have expressed interest in trading for Ty Wigginton to serve as a reserve. I wrote all about the possibility of acquiring Wigginton a little over a week ago, so I suggest going there for a comprehensive breakdown. What’s worth repeating is that the Orioles are looking for a young shortstop in return for the free-agent-to-be, and the Yanks have a trio in Ramiro Pena, Eduardo Nunez, and Reegie Corona. They clearly need to upgrade the bench, and if nothing else, Wigginton is an (expensive) upgrade over Pena.
I don’t even want to talk about the suckfest from this afternoon. I’ll vent in the recap later. You know what to do with the open thread, so have at it. I recommend going out though. It’s Friday and the weather’s gorgeous, no need to stay indoors.
(Bonus: Anyone get the reference from the title?)
Even though the draft gets all of the attention, the July 2nd international signing period is where the Yankees really do some major damage and acquire top shelf amateur talent. They’ve operated this way for decades, because money (and the Yankee brand) talks on the open market while the draft restricts them to a specific position (usually late for the Yanks). In recent years they’ve signed top prospects like Jesus Montero, Arodys Vizcaino, Jose Tabata, and shiny new toy Gary Sanchez off the international market, and they’re sure to be in the top talents this year.
The team has yet to announce any signings, but that’s not a surprise. They’ll trickle out over time. Here are some links from around the netweb to get you up to speed…
- Baseball America’s Ben Badler says that the Yankees and other big money teams are going to wait this thing out a bit this summer because right now, the prices are not lining up with the talent. He adds that the top Dominican prospects won’t be signing today, and that PED testing has really wreaked some havoc on the market.
- The Yanks have been connected to a few players this year (sub. req’d), though they don’t have an obvious number one target (like they did last year with Sanchez). They have interest in Venezuelan SS (and badass name) Rougned Odor (video), Venezuelan LHP Angel Mejias, Dominican OF Wilmer Romero (video), and Dominican SS Javier Pimentel.
- Keith Law (Insider only) adds that the Yanks are the assumed destination of Dominican RHP Felix Jorge, who “was 89-91 earlier this year with some feel for a curve and change, but his velocity has dropped of late, though he has a projectable body that promises more.”
- Remember, they’ve also been connected to Mexican RHP Luis Heredia and Dominican RHP Rafael DePaula earlier this year, though the latter is in some age and identity trouble. If you’re a BA subscriber, here’s scouting reports on this year’s top 33 prospects.
We’ll be sure to keep you updated on any significant signings if and when word gets out.
The last time the Yankees faced Brett Cecil, he killed them with the changeup. Just buried them. Eight innings of one run ball, with 28 of his 105 pitches being that damn changeup. The Yanks swung and missed at nearly 22% of them. It’s easier said than done, but they seriously got to just lay off that pitch and go after everything else. It won’t be easy if he mixes his pitches like he did last time (no fewer than 18 four-seamers, sinkers, changeups, and curveballs), but something has to give. Maybe don’t worry about working the count and just attack the first fastball in the zone.
As for the real sideshow in this one, we get our first look at A.J. Burnett since the return of Dave Eiland. Based on what I’ve read in the MSM, all of Burnett’s ills should be cured. All I know is that he better not throw Jose Bautista a fastball. Break out the eephus pitch if you have to, the guy can’t hit anything that moves.
Heeeeeeeeeere’s the lineup…
And on the bump, A.J. Burnett.
Another beautiful day in New York, with blue skies and not a smidgen of humidity. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05pm ET, and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.
Later this afternoon I’ll make the death trip. After the game ends I’ll take my packed bag and head to, gulp, Penn Station, where I’ll grab a train out to Jersey for weekend festivities at various relatives’ houses. It’s the way I spend most Fourth weekends. Horseshoe tournament in South Jersey, poolside BBQ in North Jersey. The only downside is that so many other people are escaping the city that it makes for a madhouse at Penn and Port Authority.
That’s what New Yorkers do, though. On holiday weekends we escape the heated confines of the city and traipse the suburbs for the weekend. Then, of course, we return to the city and thank our lucky stars that we don’t actually live there. Suburbanites should not be offended — it’s just the mentality of living in the city.
While this means a frenzy at the public transit stations, it means fewer people clamoring for Yankees tickets. As you can see in the graphic below, tickets for the game on the Fourth are actually a bit lower than they are for the rest of the season. In Boston, however, it’s a different story.
Yes, in Boston the game is the attraction. I guess people don’t flee to other parts of Massachusetts during the weekend. No, they’re demanding Sox tickets even more. I’m sure this has something to do with Fenway being perpetually sold out, but it also probably relates to Bostonians not fleeing the city like New Yorkers.
If you’re looking for tickets for this weekend, make sure to check out RAB Tickets.
Also, we’re running a contest in conjunction with TiqIQ. You’re going to have to get creative to win this one, because it’s a pretty simple question. The more elaborate story, the better chance you’ll have.
Where are you going to watch the game on the Fourth?
Answer in the comments. Most creative/elaborate/hilarious will win a $100 eBay gift certificate.
Update (11:46pm): Cashman made it official, Moseley called up in favor of Logan. He says other teams had contacted him about Moseley, so he knew he was going to lose him if they didn’t add him to the roster.
10:35am: Carig spoke too soon, no official move yet.
10:00am: Via Marc Carig, the Yankees have finally recalled righty Dustin Moseley from Triple-A Scranton, optioning Boone Logan down to make room on the 25-man roster. There was an empty spot on the 40-man, so no move had to be made there. Moseley would have been able to opt-out of his contract yesterday if the Yanks didn’t add him to the big league roster, so I assume the team assured him he’d be called up today to prevent him from leaving. I don’t expect much, a few mediocre innings of long relief and an eventually DFA, but with the open 40-man spot and Logan having options left, there was no sense in sacrificing depth.
Welcome to the first of what is hopefully many editions of the RAB Mailbag. If you want to submit a question, just email one or all of us using the links to the right, but the easiest thing to do is use the Submit A Tip box under The Montero Watch. This week’s topics include Cliff Lee, injury updates, and one crazy call-up idea.
There is a lot of talk about signing Cliff Lee in the offseason. I was wondering what salary is coming off the books besides Andy and Javy? Will there really be that much room to sign Lee to a long term deal at the money he will command? -John
Let’s cut right to the chase and break this down…
Randy Winn‘s $1.1M salary is coming off the books after the season as well, ditto the $500,000 the Yanks sent to Atlanta in the Vazquez trade (for Melky Cabrera). I assume they’ll buyout Nick Johnson‘s $5.5M mutual option for $250,000, which puts the total amount of money coming off the books this offseason at roughly $56.2M. That does not include arbitration raises and raises to pre-arbitration players, but I’m guessing those will total less than $6M. For simplicity’s sake, let’s call it an even $50M coming off the books.
So assuming that the budget doesn’t change next year, that $50M will go towards re-signing Jeter and Mo first and foremost, then adding at the very least one starting pitcher. Thames, CHoP, and Gaudin can be replaced for $3M or less, theoretically. If Jeter and Mo do not take discounts, you’re looking at $11M left over. That’s not enough to buy you Cliff Lee, I can guarantee it, but remember that the Yanks are likely to bring in some players via trade between now and the offseason, which will change things here. Not necessarily for the worst either.
From the looks of things, the Yankees will have to expand the budget next year to afford Cliff Lee, or hope that Jeter and Mo take big discounts. And even that leaves you with a rookie fifth starter (Zach McAllister? Ivan Nova?) making the league minimum and the same Ramiro Pena led bench.
Any updates on how NJ’s wrist is doing? Also are there any updates on our dear old friend CMW? Any plans to bring back the RAB radio show? -Tom
The last thing we heard about Nick Johnson’s rehab came from one of Will Carroll’s Under The Knife columns a few weeks ago (sorry, I can’t find the link). All it said was that Johnson’s surgically repaired wrist was healing slowly and that there was no firm timetable for his return, which is exactly what the Yankees expected. Haven’t heard a thing since, which, depending on your worldview, can be either good (no setbacks) or bad (no progress).
As for Chien-Ming Wang, he’s still a month away from returning to a big league mound. He’s throwing simulated innings every few days at the Nationals’ complex in Florida, and right now the plan is for him to debut at the end of July or early August. Clearly, Wang’s agent Alan Nero grossly undershot his prediction of a May return.
The Radio Show will be back at some point, I promise. You’d be surprised at how hard it is for two of us to find some common free time to record the thing.
If a player on the 40-man (say, WDLR) gets waived, does a team that claims him have to put him on their 40-man? Also, if he clears waivers, does he then become a minor league free agent? -Tyler
Yes, if a team claims a player off waivers he remains on that new team’s 40-man roster. The entire point of the waiver process is to keep a player as close to the big leagues as possible, therefore allowing him to reap all the rewards that come with it (killer medical benefits, higher salary, etc.).
As for what happens when a player clears, well it depends. There are several kinds of waivers that are each designed to do different things. I recommend reading this post for an in-depth explanation, but there are two ways for a player to become a free agent after he clears waivers.
- He’s placed on release waivers, which are self explanatory. The entire reason he’s on these in the first place is because the team doesn’t want him anymore and they want him out of the organization.
- He is placed on outright waivers after having been outrighted to the minors at least once before in his career. If a guy has been outrighted before, he can elect to become a free agent instead of going to a new team (as part of a claim) or down to the minors. If a player does choose free agency, he forfeits the rest of his contract. Josh Towers accepted his outright assignment from the Blue Jays a few years ago because he still had something like $5M coming to him.
Minor league free agency is a different animal all together. That’s when a guy has spent six years in the minors without being on the 40-man roster, then he becomes a free agent.
Let’s use Wilkin DeLaRosa as an example. He’s been dreadful this year (5.68 ERA, 4.89 FIP, 31-24 K/BB ratio in 44.1 Double-A IP), and frankly he hasn’t made any progress since being added to the 40-man roster after the 2008 season. He’s an obvious candidate to go whenever a 40-man spot is needed. If/when the Yankees designate him for assignment, he’ll go on outright waivers, and if someone claims him he’ll go to that team and stay on their 40-man. If he clears, he has to accept the minor league assignment because this is his first time being outrighted. He would have become a minor league free agent if they didn’t add him to the 40-man after 2008 because he had spent six years in the minors, the first four as a no hit outfielder.
I’ve always wondered why you don’t see more moves where a team claims a player off waivers, then immediately DFA’s him. Take Cla Meredith for example, a somewhat useful righty reliever. The Orioles DFA’s him about a week ago, but he went unclaimed and was sent to the minors. Why wouldn’t a team like say, the Diamondbacks, put a claim in, get him in the organization, then immediately DFA him to remove him from the 40-man? Chances are he would have cleared waivers anyway, so you’re basically adding a piece that may have value to you in the future for almost no cost (there’s a fee for making a waiver claim). Of course, this only makes sense if the player doesn’t have a ridiculous contract.
Which is funnier: The calls for a Shelley Duncan return to the bench or Joel Sherman writing a column advocating calling up Jesus Montero? -Harrison
Gotta vote for Shelley here. We know what that guy is, and the Yanks know him better than anyone. What does he offer that Marcus Thames doesn’t? Sure, he’s hit four homers in limited action for the Indians, but he’s struck out in just shy of 40% of his at-bats. The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.
Here’s Sherman’s article on Montero. The idea of calling up a top prospect from Triple-A to bolster the big league team is nothing new, so I can’t fault him for that. As cliche as it’s become, turning to Montero to help the Yanks’ offense is a very Mets’ like move – just changing the development plan as they go. The 20-year-old backstop didn’t perform at all until last month, and he still needs to work on managing at-bats and working the count a little bit more. Calling him up and asking him to fix an inconsistent offense is just asking for trouble.
Keep Montero in the minors the rest of the year and let him smack Triple-A pitchers around and build confidence. The kid’s got 467 plate appearances above A-ball, not even a full season’s worth. What’s the rush?